• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Lanzoyd

Lanzoyd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 12:00 AM

Hi everyone, I'd like to know if there is any way to get a mixed signal between ATG kit and passive pickups, all blended to the output jack. I tried using a passive 3 way switch, but it didn't work! when i go to the middle position (passive + atg shortcut and sent to volume pot), only ATG works... is it an impedance problem? I thought that this workaround could work, as it happens when switching between pickup positions...
Any tips? Thank you!!

#2 GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 03:58 PM

Lanzoyd, on 06 May 2017 - 12:00 AM, said:

Hi everyone, I'd like to know if there is any way to get a mixed signal between ATG kit and passive pickups, all blended to the output jack. I tried using a passive 3 way switch, but it didn't work! when i go to the middle position (passive + atg shortcut and sent to volume pot), only ATG works... is it an impedance problem? I thought that this workaround could work, as it happens when switching between pickup positions...
Any tips? Thank you!!

You will have to use a mixer op amp to get good results; you correctly identified it as an impedance problem.

#3 Lanzoyd

Lanzoyd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 04:24 PM

GuitarBuilder, on 08 May 2017 - 03:58 PM, said:

You will have to use a mixer op amp to get good results; you correctly identified it as an impedance problem.

Thank you for your reply. Do you know any mixing device small enough to fit into a guitar which can also be powered by a 9V battery?

Edit: or maybe one of the signals' impedance can somehow be passively adapted...?

#4 GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 04:42 PM

Lanzoyd, on 08 May 2017 - 04:24 PM, said:

Thank you for your reply. Do you know any mixing device small enough to fit into a guitar which can also be powered by a 9V battery?

Edit: or maybe one of the signals' impedance can somehow be passively adapted...?

Try looking for active preamps on Google; here are a few:

http://www.guitarfet...eamps_c_51.html

https://www.premierg...y_Pickup_Active

You can sum the passive and ATG outputs into one of these using a pair of resistors.

#5 GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:09 AM

You do understand, however, that the result of mixing your pickups and the ATG output will likely be a messy situation?  If your guitar is not perfectly in tune, you will get warbling or dissonance.  Any alternate tuning would be out of the question.

#6 cags12

cags12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 04:44 PM

I believe you can use a blend pot for what you want. In the Luthier installation manual this was done in the Andre Belew installation described there. Output gets blended if you want a Chrous effect. Alternate tunings as mentioned before is out of the question.

#7 Lanzoyd

Lanzoyd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:44 PM

Hi guys, thank you for your replies. In the past weeks I made some experiments and came to a great solution. I installed on my strat (already loaded with ATG kit) a Graph Tech Ghost kit with piezo saddles for acoustic sound. The Ghost board has the chance to input the passive pickups signal to be able to switch between electric and acoustic or mix them internally.
My guess was: "mmm maybe the signal impedance is matched inside the board to do the trick.... I could try to input the ATG signal instead of the passives, in order to switch between ATG and Piezo or blend them."
Well... my guess was right! Now I've a 3 way switch (ATG, ATG/Piezo, Piezo), and a push pull pot (Passive Pickups on push and ATG/Piezo combination on pull).
My aim was to recreate a more functional and realistic acoustic sound, both six and twelve strings.
If I need six strings i can rely on Piezo, but if I want a twelve strings all I need to do is select the central position on my 3way switch, and ATG will supply the missing strings (custom tuning +12 +12 +12 +12 +0 +0, no doubling).
After matching volumes accordingly the results are astonishing!

Here's a pic of my strat controls: Volume and outer Tone are the two ATG pots (under the tone you may see the little blue LED), while the central pot works only for Push Pull operation, as described above.
Posted Image

I'm so happy now! :D

#8 cags12

cags12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:02 PM

Very nice. Great solution!

#9 GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 02:19 PM

Would like to hear a clip of the mixed acoustic sound!

#10 Lanzoyd

Lanzoyd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 03:07 PM

Here it is! I made a little demo.

https://www.dropbox.... + ATG.mp3?dl=0

This is the playing order in the audio file:
1 - ATG Acoustic Model 6 strings
2 - Piezo Graph Tech Ghost
3 - ATG Acoustic Model 12 strings
4 - Mixed Piezo and ATG (+12 +12 +12 +12 +0 +0 custom tuning, Acoustic Model)

I'm aware that ATG Acoustic Model sound isn't optimal on my guitar, that's because I had big trouble setting the HEX pickup saddle distance on ATG Software (I had a post somewhere on this forum about that), trying to find a good compromise for acoustic and electric sound... I also have a Peavey AT-200, which features a Piezo pickup for ATG, which in my opinion is more suitable for acoustic sounds. Also, I had to set a little darker EQ, a -2 value if I'm not mistaken (always on ATG software).

This is a dry signal, without any further processing,

Hope you like how it sounds, I do!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ATG, luthier kit, antares, autotune, passive, pickup, mix

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users