GuitarBuilder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:06 PM

Hi Henrik,

A couple of clarification questions regarding the luthier kit:

1) Will it work without a pickup selector switch?  Why does the DSP board need to know what position it's in?  How does it use this info?  Does it affect model selection in any way?

2) I'm assuming the system will still work without a Tone pot connected as long as the switch functionality is retained.  Correct?  Does the DSP still need the pot position information?  If that is a control voltage, what is the range?

Thanks!

Peter

#2 Henrik

Henrik

Antares Crew Member

• Administrators
  • 344 posts
  • LocationThe sprawling Antares megacenter

Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:26 PM

View PostGuitarBuilder, on 19 May 2017 - 09:06 PM, said:

Hi Henrik,

A couple of clarification questions regarding the luthier kit:

1) Will it work without a pickup selector switch?  Why does the DSP board need to know what position it's in?  How does it use this info?  Does it affect model selection in any way?

Yes, the system can work without a pickup selector.  You would then need to tell the DSP what position you want to lock the pickup selector into.  This can certainly be done.
The DSP needs to know what position the selector is in in order to simulate the pickup location.  This is how the software is written.
The pickup selector position is independent of the pickup model.

View PostGuitarBuilder, on 19 May 2017 - 09:06 PM, said:

2) I'm assuming the system will still work without a Tone pot connected as long as the switch functionality is retained.  Correct?  Does the DSP still need the pot position information?  If that is a control voltage, what is the range?

Thanks!

Peter

The system can work without a tone pot as well.  If no tone pot is connected, then it will be behave like the tone is all the way up.

#3 GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:21 PM

Thanks for the quick response, Henrik!

So I can simulate a pickup selection by shorting the appropriate pins on P9?

How does the DSP interpret the tone pot position?

#4 Henrik

Henrik

Antares Crew Member

• Administrators
  • 344 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:28 PM

View PostGuitarBuilder, on 22 May 2017 - 08:21 PM, said:

Thanks for the quick response, Henrik!

So I can simulate a pickup selection by shorting the appropriate pins on P9?

How does the DSP interpret the tone pot position?

If you look at the pickup selector wiring in the installation manual, you should easily be able to short the appropriate two wires to set it on the pickup selection of your choice.  You could also measure the pickup selector with an ohm meter to double check.

#5 GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 02:20 PM

New question:

What is connector P2 used for?  Could you tell us what the pinouts are?

Thanks!

#6 Henrik

Henrik

Antares Crew Member

• Administrators
  • 344 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 03:49 PM

View PostGuitarBuilder, on 25 May 2017 - 02:20 PM, said:

New question:

What is connector P2 used for?  Could you tell us what the pinouts are?

Thanks!

P2 is the second audio out for stereo audio.  However, this is not implemented in the current software, so unfortunately a useless connector at this time.

#7 cags12

cags12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 07:21 PM

View PostHenrik, on 30 May 2017 - 03:49 PM, said:

P2 is the second audio out for stereo audio.  However, this is not implemented in the current software, so unfortunately a useless connector at this time.

I kinda knew it, but obviously not sure until now. It would be great if this gets implemented in future firmware upgrades. We could add a separate Jack for stereo effect.

Henrik, we were discussing on another thread here and also VGuitar forums about the possible usage of the other connectors like P5, P6, SW and SP. Even if they are useless at this time like P2, would you be able to give us further idea about what they can be used for?

We were sort of dreaming about using one of those connectors to transmit the digital data to a separate child board for DAC conversion of each autotuned channel to GK 13 pin or even other applications.

Thanks!

#8 GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 05:41 PM

Would it be possible to get a drawing of the DSP board with dimensions of major features (mounting holes, connectors, etc.)?  Ideally the PCB file would be best, but any other type of mechanical drawing would work as well.  Thanks!

#9 Henrik

Henrik

Antares Crew Member

• Administrators
  • 344 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:09 PM

The DSP board measures 3 9/16" by 1 31/32".  You will find a picture of this in the manual on page 35:
http://www.autotunef...manual_v1p2.pdf

#10 GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:14 PM

View PostHenrik, on 12 June 2017 - 06:09 PM, said:

The DSP board measures 3 9/16" by 1 31/32".  You will find a picture of this in the manual on page 35:
http://www.autotunef...manual_v1p2.pdf

Thanks, Henrik!  I am particularly interested in the location and dimensions of the mounting holes.  Can I get those?

#11 Henrik

Henrik

Antares Crew Member

• Administrators
  • 344 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:19 PM

The distance between are 1 11/16" (short side) and 3 5/16" (long side).  The holes are 0.0875 diameter (almost 3/32").

#12 GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:20 PM

View PostHenrik, on 12 June 2017 - 06:19 PM, said:

The distance between are 1 11/16" (short side) and 3 5/16" (long side).  The holes are 0.0875 diameter (almost 3/32").

Awesome - thanks!

#13 GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:22 PM

View PostGuitarBuilder, on 12 June 2017 - 06:20 PM, said:

Awesome - thanks!

Sorry - quick clarification: distance between holes is from center to center or edge to edge?

#14 Henrik

Henrik

Antares Crew Member

• Administrators
  • 344 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:37 PM

9/64" from both edges.

#15 GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:09 AM

Hi Henrik,

I read in the manual about a special version of the DSP that you use with piezo pickups, which has unity gain inputs, correct?

What is the gain of the magnetic pickup version of the DSP?  I'd also be interested in the typical voltage swings that the input circuitry can tolerate before distorting.

Thanks,

Peter

#16 GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 05:56 PM

Bump!

#17 Henrik

Henrik

Antares Crew Member

• Administrators
  • 344 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:31 PM

View PostGuitarBuilder, on 13 June 2017 - 12:09 AM, said:

Hi Henrik,

I read in the manual about a special version of the DSP that you use with piezo pickups, which has unity gain inputs, correct?

What is the gain of the magnetic pickup version of the DSP?  I'd also be interested in the typical voltage swings that the input circuitry can tolerate before distorting.

Thanks,

Peter

Are you considering modifying the existing PCBs yourself?  We could potentially connect you with the place that modified our boards.

#18 GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:58 PM

No I would not modify the boards at this time.  I plan on having a hex amp/attenuator ahead of the board to accommodate other hex pickups.  I suspect that would work, right?  I'm interested in knowing how much amplification or attenuation I need to design in.

I would be interested in the place that modifies the boards for future reference.

Thanks!

#19 GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:08 PM

Here's added info: I plan on using pickups with output ranges from 500-750 mV p-p.  How much attenuation will I need in order to not overload the DSP4?  Thanks!

#20 GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 03:57 PM

Bump

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ATG, luthier kit, installation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users