• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lanzoyd

Lanzoyd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 04:43 PM

Hi! As i'm experimnting with Graph Tech Ghost piezo and ATG luthier kit together into the same guitar, i was wandering if it is possible to use those piezo saddles to feed the ATG, just like the piezo saddles used on the Peavey AT-200. Are they almost the same thing or are there any differences that would make this test fail?
Thank you!

#2 cags12

cags12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 11:01 AM

Hi Lanzoyd - Your kit has been designed to take the High-z on the Magentic Hex, not the Ultra High-z of the piezos. There is a different version of the DSP exclusively for using with Piezos, that is the one I've got.

You can give it a try and see if you get good tone. It seems some users have done it with not adverse effect to tone. I also wonder what will be the results, so if you can post an audio clip, it would be great!! :)

What I can tell you is that the major problem with using the piezos is the effect on palm muting (this is a known one) and possible cross-talk if the saddles are touching between each other. From your picture on the other thread I can see they do. I had to sand down the sides of my Ghost saddles in order to get rid of the cross talk (advise from Graphtech). It was awful before that.

#3 Lanzoyd

Lanzoyd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 12:08 PM

View Postcags12, on 29 May 2017 - 11:01 AM, said:

Hi Lanzoyd - Your kit has been designed to take the High-z on the Magentic Hex, not the Ultra High-z of the piezos. There is a different version of the DSP exclusively for using with Piezos, that is the one I've got.

You can give it a try and see if you get good tone. It seems some users have done it with not adverse effect to tone. I also wonder what will be the results, so if you can post an audio clip, it would be great!! :)

What I can tell you is that the major problem with using the piezos is the effect on palm muting (this is a known one) and possible cross-talk if the saddles are touching between each other. From your picture on the other thread I can see they do. I had to sand down the sides of my Ghost saddles in order to get rid of the cross talk (advise from Graphtech). It was awful before that.

I see. But what if i used a DSP board taken from a Peavey AT-200? it normally works with piezo, so I guess there would be no difference between Antares saddles and Graph Tech saddlers, am i right?
Instead of a Fender bridge, what if I put this system on a Les Paul, having a Reso Max bridge like this?

http://www.graphtech...pg.tmb?sfvrsn=0

would the saddles still have cross-talk issues?

Thank you for your useful feedback!

#4 cags12

cags12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 01:10 PM

In that case then yes. It will work correctly. The only consideration I can tell you is that the Ghost saddles have higher output (a lot more) than the Stock Peavey ones. You will have to decrease the values on the ATG settings manager. I had to do this as I used my Peavey AT-200 as test bed for everything.

The resomax bridge would not show the problem with cross-talk as I described before. I spoke to Dave in Graphtech and they said that by their design, including the version for Floyd, it should not experience the same issue as with the Strat saddles. But there will be always some level of crosstalk in either piezos or magnetics. I would like to hear your results when you complete this!!

Btw. Just for the sake of curiosity. Don't be afraid of making a quick test with the DSP board of the luthier kit, it will not get damaged, just to hear the results. Sent us a recording.

If you are a high gain player, look at this thread. that is my experience with Piezos. Yes, I used that amount of gain :)

#5 Lanzoyd

Lanzoyd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 01:26 PM

I will surely keep you posted on my future developments! Thank you very much :D

#6 cags12

cags12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 01:57 PM

Please do.

btw. when I said before "look at this thread" I meant to paste the link below.

http://autotuneforgu...ough-your-hand/

#7 Lanzoyd

Lanzoyd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 02:01 PM

I thought there could be something missing... :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users