AT-200...Luthier kit possible? How about them pick-ups.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Aartsbok

Aartsbok

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationFlanders - Belgium

Posted 04 July 2017 - 07:56 PM

Hi, I recently (last week) bought an AT-200 guitar.

It charms me as much as it dissapoints... I think the software works great and opens up a lot of possibilities, I simply love to use it, but I don't like to hear it... I'm using a peavey vypyr pro at home, and clean channels (like Fender Twin) are awesome, they sound great, play great and so on. It, ironically, goes out of tune quite easily in passive mode (which of course the AT fixes), so I might make a project guitar out of this since I got it for a good price... thinking of investing in locking tuners, string rollers and perhaps a new top to hold the strings on top of the neck, in ivory or something of the likes.

But I love the features, it provides possibilities for efficient songwriting. So in that regard I'm very charmed by this guitar and want to make the best out of it. Right now it's actually being sent into waranty due to a very heavy soldering mistake (by the factory) that burned the connector on the board... I could upload pictures if you like but that wouldn't help this cause I think. The waranty is most likely peavey's problem.

Being primarily a metal guitarist and songwriter,  obviously we're going into distortion and high gain territory...

I've got 2 jacksons RR24, one RR24M and one RR24 limited edition, the best guitars I have ever played untill this day, and they play and sound awesome on the amp.

The AT-200 however, does not... it sounds very low defined, muddy, dare I say "sloppy". So, I decided to invest into the complete pack to see if the other pick-up models would actually make a difference. They do, but not by much to what I actually need.

So therefore the following questions.

For passive mode: is it possible to change the stock pick-ups on the guitar? I believe as soon as you enter "active AT mode" the stock pickups aren't actually used, but the piezo's are? Therefore you would be able to change the pick-ups if you somehow could connect the volume to work as well in active or passive mode? (I might be having a complete misconception about this).

Second: is it possible, without a lot of hassle, (and would it be benificial) to install the luthier kit into the AT-200? Since I read the hardware has been improved tremendously for palm muting and high gain playing... On the other hand, I did just buy the complete pack, so that money would be wasted upon me, unless I could get a refund (thus, delete the complete pack from my account) when I purchase the luthier kit?

Your advice would be very much appreciated :)
*Representing the satisfaction of vocal vulgarity*

#2 GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:24 PM

Yes, you can easily replace the stock pickups.  The wiring is conventional, but the switch is not.  Take photos and document the wiring before you disconnect the pickups.

I don't think it's worth replacing the electronics with the luthier kit - you would have to do routing to accommodate the encoders.  I also have an AT-200 and opted to build my own guitar with the luthier kit and the parts that I preferred.

#3 Aartsbok

Aartsbok

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 04:47 PM

Thank you for your reply GuitarBuilder :) I'm actually in the process of having a guitar custom built by a canadian company (building the guitars in europe) and I'm discussing the possibility with them to have the luthier kit installed with it.

The guitar I'll have built (to my specifications) is:

http://www.schuriken....php?cPath=3_39

Rose red version, seymour duncan black winter pick-up set (passive).

I just asked them what options I'd best choose for this guitar when ordering the luthier kit.

#4 GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 06:53 PM

Looks exciting!

#5 Aartsbok

Aartsbok

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 07:26 PM

View PostGuitarBuilder, on 11 July 2017 - 06:53 PM, said:

Looks exciting!

Oh, it is, very much so :) believe it or not, but it'll be the very first time I'll actually play passive again since my very first guitar (fender strat usa 1977), and of course the first time I'll have a custum built guitar.

I'll copy paste this, perhaps you can help me because the guitar builder wants me to provide the luthier kit for them and I don't really know what options to choose for this particular guitar.
Copy/paste (from another thread) as follows:

Perhaps you can help me decide. I need to choose between blade switch or pick up selector, I think I'd go for the triple way pick up selector (for the looks, unless you advise otherwise), but I do not know if I need the lp or st board or the lp or st pick-up width.

The guitar I'm getting custum built is:

Alder body, maple neck, 24 frets, rosewood fingerboard, no floyd (allready got two floyd guitars, need something lower maintenance) seymour duncan black winter pick-up set (2 passive pick ups)

This specific model: http://www.schuriken....php?cPath=3_39

I need to know this exactly because the guitar builder told me they can install the kit without problems, but that I need to provide it to them. So I need to know what to order :).

I allready own the AT-200 guitar and I love what the autotune does but I don't like how the guitar plays, sounds or responds... that's why I want to opt for a custom installation (I was going to build that guitar anyway).

#6 GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 05:32 PM

View PostAartsbok, on 11 July 2017 - 07:26 PM, said:

Oh, it is, very much so :) believe it or not, but it'll be the very first time I'll actually play passive again since my very first guitar (fender strat usa 1977), and of course the first time I'll have a custum built guitar.

I'll copy paste this, perhaps you can help me because the guitar builder wants me to provide the luthier kit for them and I don't really know what options to choose for this particular guitar.
Copy/paste (from another thread) as follows:

Perhaps you can help me decide. I need to choose between blade switch or pick up selector, I think I'd go for the triple way pick up selector (for the looks, unless you advise otherwise), but I do not know if I need the lp or st board or the lp or st pick-up width.

The guitar I'm getting custum built is:

Alder body, maple neck, 24 frets, rosewood fingerboard, no floyd (allready got two floyd guitars, need something lower maintenance) seymour duncan black winter pick-up set (2 passive pick ups)

This specific model: http://www.schuriken....php?cPath=3_39

I need to know this exactly because the guitar builder told me they can install the kit without problems, but that I need to provide it to them. So I need to know what to order :).

I allready own the AT-200 guitar and I love what the autotune does but I don't like how the guitar plays, sounds or responds... that's why I want to opt for a custom installation (I was going to build that guitar anyway).

I believe Henrik already provided an answer: if you have 2 humbucking pickups the 3-way switch is a good choice.  Having said that, the Seymour Duncan Black Winter set has humbuckers with 4-conductor wires, which means you could get more wiring options and use a 5-way switch instead.

The other consideration is your fingerboard radius.  The hex pickups supplied with the S or LP ATG kits are different; that is a much greater concern than the switch type.  I suspect the Shuriken has a fairly flat radius board for good shredding, so IMHO the Fender type S hex pickup might be a better match for you.  Please discuss that with Henrik before you order the kit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users