16 replies to this topic

#1 cags12

cags12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 12:18 PM

It is very sad and unfortunate so brilliant technology is getting discontinued. May I ask the following:

1. Is there any possibility to release the software as Open source or something that will allow the community to further develop the features of the technology? (not the actual autotune algorithm though).

2. Is there any final update to be released? Perhaps adding what was in the works during the past couple of years?

3. Is Antares definitely abandoning developing products for Guitars for ever? I hope it will reborn at some stage :(

#2 Henrik

Henrik

Antares Crew Member

• Administrators
  • 344 posts
  • LocationThe sprawling Antares megacenter

Posted 01 August 2017 - 05:57 PM

View Postcags12, on 01 August 2017 - 12:18 PM, said:

It is very sad and unfortunate so brilliant technology is getting discontinued. May I ask the following:

1. Is there any possibility to release the software as Open source or something that will allow the community to further develop the features of the technology? (not the actual autotune algorithm though).

2. Is there any final update to be released? Perhaps adding what was in the works during the past couple of years?

3. Is Antares definitely abandoning developing products for Guitars for ever? I hope it will reborn at some stage :(

Hi cags12,

To answer your questions:
1. No, I am afraid that the software is not to be released as open source.

2. There will be no final release of the software. Software Feature Pack and Pedal Core Pack v3.32 is the last and final release.  Please be sure to update to this version if you haven't already.

3. Yes, it is very unlikely that we will develop guitar products in the future.

Thank you!

#3 ualani

ualani

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 07:50 PM

Boy do I ever feel like a sucker.

#4 jbis

jbis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 07:58 PM

I'm surprised it lasted this long

#5 tomoe97

tomoe97

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:13 PM

Henrik, can you tell us if the ATG assets have been sold to a third party?

#6 Lanzoyd

Lanzoyd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:21 PM

This is really terrible news... My ATG loaded Strat is my most valuable piece of gear, I hate to think that I won't be ever able to upgrade any other guitar with this technology...

#7 ahg

ahg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 09:39 PM

I'm truly saddened.  My ATG-1 gives me so much flexibility not available elsewhere.  I assume it didn't take off because so few instruments were equipped with the necessary pickups. Also, marketing was pretty sketchy.  I hope that someone like Roland will make Antares an offer they can't refuse to license the technology to keep it alive.  It's so much better than the  current GR-55 offering. (For reference I have both)

#8 Henrik

Henrik

Antares Crew Member

• Administrators
  • 344 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 10:44 PM

View Posttomoe97, on 01 August 2017 - 08:13 PM, said:

Henrik, can you tell us if the ATG assets have been sold to a third party?

Sorry tomoe97, this is not something I can comment on.

#9 aombk

aombk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:51 AM

ok, you cannot release as open source,
but isnt there a way you can open things up a bit so we can develop on your platform?
for example, i was waiting for midi output for a long time and i want to try some things.

if you keep the license proprietary but give us some tools to work with it and something good comes out of the community, there is better chance you sell your platform than if you let it slowly die.

#10 cags12

cags12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:27 PM

View Postaombk, on 02 August 2017 - 09:51 AM, said:

ok, you cannot release as open source,
but isnt there a way you can open things up a bit so we can develop on your platform?
for example, i was waiting for midi output for a long time and i want to try some things.

if you keep the license proprietary but give us some tools to work with it and something good comes out of the community, there is better chance you sell your platform than if you let it slowly die.

Something like an API would be great.

if the plan is to leave the tech to completely die, it would be a big waste of great stuff.

#11 tomoe97

tomoe97

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:27 PM

Fingers crossed that another company that already has an investment in similar (but less capable) technology (ahem, Roland) will buy up these valuable ATG assets and incorporate them into a future GK-ready iteration.

#12 GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 04:23 PM

View PostLanzoyd, on 01 August 2017 - 08:21 PM, said:

This is really terrible news... My ATG loaded Strat is my most valuable piece of gear, I hate to think that I won't be ever able to upgrade any other guitar with this technology...

Of course you can!  You just have to buy the Luthier Kit before October.  I have a whole stack of them in my workshop ready for new guitars.

#13 satiropan

satiropan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 07:10 PM

View PostGuitarBuilder, on 03 August 2017 - 04:23 PM, said:

Of course you can!  You just have to buy the Luthier Kit before October.  I have a whole stack of them in my workshop ready for new guitars.
ya but who's going to buy something that is ended? and, sorry, what price do you think you can sell the kits that will have no future at all?

anyway, I come from the amiga world, followed the fall down of an exceptional computer (by then), and seen just vultures trying to squeeze few more dollars from the aficionados....

#14 satiropan

satiropan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 07:31 AM

btw, why not selling the at-200 /atg complete packs for a reduced price? as they did last year, they sold the packs with 50% discount but just for a couple of days and I missed it :(
now that it's over, selling it with reduced price could make some money more, before the end....

#15 Sacco

Sacco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 03:53 PM

I can understand if you guys want to discontinue ATG If the business is not working well.

What I don't understand is being unable to update or install anything later on.....what if the installed pack in my guitar fails? It means I've lost over USD600

I hope you guys at least take this into account. I don't think it takes any serious resources to leave a server on for current customers.
AT200 with swapped ATG system with two encoders.

Windows 10 in a powerful desktop PC

#16 Henrik

Henrik

Antares Crew Member

• Administrators
  • 344 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 12:24 AM

View PostSacco, on 07 August 2017 - 03:53 PM, said:

What I don't understand is being unable to update or install anything later on.....what if the installed pack in my guitar fails? It means I've lost over USD600

There will be no further updates to the software and if you do have the latest version installed, then you are all set.  Once the software is on the DSP, then it lives there.

I have been working with the ATG stuff since the release and have never seen an installed pack fail on a AT-200, ATG Luthier Kit, or ATG-1.   Sure, there have been DSP boards and other hardware failures, but not failing software.

#17 GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:03 PM

View Postsatiropan, on 05 August 2017 - 07:10 PM, said:

ya but who's going to buy something that is ended? and, sorry, what price do you think you can sell the kits that will have no future at all?

I think the ATG has plenty of future left.  The current software is reliable and has lots of functionality.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users