31 replies to this topic

#1 Den.

Den.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 08:05 PM

Hi...
I bought a used AT-200 guitar and I am trying to connect it to my computer for the
first time using the Y cord method. I keep getting this message:

Midi Input Device: USB2.0-MIDI
Midi Output Device: USB2.0-MIDI
Unable to connect to your ATG.
Check that your ATG device is connected to your MIDI interface device and is
turned on, then click the 'Retry Connection' button above.

I have tried every combination of cable connection and even tried plugging a guitar cord into the 1/4" jack. Same message. What do I do now?

Den

#2 Henrik

Henrik

Antares Crew Member

• Administrators
  • 344 posts
  • LocationThe sprawling Antares megacenter

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:55 PM

View PostDen., on 04 August 2017 - 08:05 PM, said:

Hi...
I bought a used AT-200 guitar and I am trying to connect it to my computer for the
first time using the Y cord method. I keep getting this message:

Midi Input Device: USB2.0-MIDI
Midi Output Device: USB2.0-MIDI
Unable to connect to your ATG.
Check that your ATG device is connected to your MIDI interface device and is
turned on, then click the 'Retry Connection' button above.

I have tried every combination of cable connection and even tried plugging a guitar cord into the 1/4" jack. Same message. What do I do now?

Den

What MIDI Interface are you using?
Are you on a PC or Mac?
What operating system is on your computer?

The AT-200 has to be turned on for it to work.
I am sure you have done this already, but please do check how the MIDI Y-Cable is connected to the MIDI interface and the AT-200.

#3 Den.

Den.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 12:06 AM

Hi...
I borrowed a MIDI interface and Y cord from a keyboardist friend of mine. When I use it only the OUT led lights. It is similar to this one:

Attached File  ScreenShot365.jpg   128.02K   7 downloads

I'm using a Windows PC running Vista.
I'm turning on the guitar by pushing the TONE control DOWN. The green LED on the neck pu is lighting up indicating to me that the guitar is powered up. I have also tried with a guitar cord inserted into the 1/4" jack. I believe I have tried every possible combination of connecting the MIDI cables with and without the guitar cord plugged in.

Thanks, Den

#4 cags12

cags12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 01:02 AM

I do not believe the midi interface you are using is one of the tested and approved ones. See below link.

http://www.autotunef...puter_or_iPad_6

#5 Den.

Den.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:50 PM

I was able to borrow different MIDI interface to try. M-Audio MidiSport Uno (listed as an approved device by Antares) and I downloaded the latest drivers. The Software Manager program seems to be trying to get information from the guitar (Getting ATG Device Information) but the percentage progress bar never moves off of zero; even after waiting 30 minutes. No warnings in red. It still doesn't work.

EDIT: I noticed that the guitar would only stay on if the Y cable is connect ONE way (in - out). Connecting the Y cable the other way would result in the guitar turning itself off as soon as I logged in to the Software Manager.

RE-EDIT: Now I notice that the guitar has started turning off when I login to the manager no matter how the Y cable ends are orientated.

Midi Input Device: MIDISPORT Uno In
Midi Output Device: MIDISPORT Uno Out
Attached File  ScreenShot366.jpg   46.81K   7 downloads

#6 GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:06 PM

You need to observe the proper MIDI In and Out connections, otherwise your guitar will not communicate.

#7 Den.

Den.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:22 PM

View PostGuitarBuilder, on 09 August 2017 - 05:06 PM, said:

You need to observe the proper MIDI In and Out connections, otherwise your guitar will not communicate.
Thanks for your response, but I think you missed reading these sentences in my responses above:
"I believe I have tried every possible combination of connecting the MIDI cables with and without the guitar cord plugged in."
"RE-EDIT: Now I notice that the guitar has started turning off when I login to the manager no matter how the Y cable ends are orientated."

#8 GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:58 PM

It should not turn off if you have the guitar cord plugged in.  Do you have the tone knob pulled out or pushed in?

#9 Den.

Den.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:08 PM

New batteries in guitar - All cords plugged in (MIDI and 1/4") - guitar ON (tone knob IN, green LED lit) - log into Software Manager and the guitar's LED immediately turns OFF.

#10 cags12

cags12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 11:49 PM

It is normal the led goes off when you log into Software Manager. It goes off for a few seconds until the initial communication between the guitar and the PC sets up. Then it should light on again. If your guitar does not get back on, then I would suspect the midi interface is not communicating correctly with the guitar.

Do you notice the MIDI interface leds blinking quickly While this happens?

Maybe try to install again the drivers downloaded from the M-audio web site for the version of your OS.

#11 Den.

Den.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:58 AM

The guitar LED goes off and NEVER comes back on. On the interface the only LED that lights is the one marked USB. It blinks at a rate of less than once per second. At your suggestion I reinstalled the drivers then I tried the Software Manager again. Nothing.

Could you please describe exactly what I SHOULD be seeing during this procedure?

#12 cags12

cags12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:52 AM

Ok well,

As soon as you click on login and assuming your credentials are OK, the Software manager will start talking to the guitar and the server in order to set up the GUI for you depending on what is on your guitar and what are your applications from the server perspective. During this time, while the progress bar is present, the Led goes off (does not mean the DSP is off) and the Midi interface (Midi sport [I have the same]) other two leds start blinking. When the progress bar reaches 100%, the Software manager will display the applications in your guitar and the server. At this point the led goes on again on the guitar and gets ready to do whatever you want to do from the Software Manager.

May I ask:
- What Operating System are you using? it would seem you are using Win XP?
- What Y cable are you using? Is it the official Peavey one or something else?
- Does the ATG Setting manager work correctly with your Guitar?

I would suggest trying from a different PC with Windows 7 or 10 (I use 10 and al works great), and also a different Y cable.

Edit: my Midi interface is the MIDI Sport 1x1, not the same s yours.

#13 Den.

Den.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 03:22 PM

- I have a VISTA computer.
- I have borrowed TWO MIDI interfaces and the Y cable. One interface is an unknown brand that gives me an error message when trying to connect to the Download Manager and the other is the MIDI Sport Uno that gives me NO error messages.
- The ATG Settings Manager doesn't work either. Error: "Not connected to your ATG Device.  Unable to save settings/Unable to restore default Global values."

I carried all of the stuff to a friend's house to try it on her new Windows 10 computer, and...nothing, it fails in the exact same way.

#14 cags12

cags12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:34 PM

Assuming all the MIDI interfaces, Y cables, drivers and computers are all right. I would lastly check the physical internal connections of the 8-pin Din connector to the DSP board (use the Luthier kit installation manual for reference of the connections).

If you are unable to locate the issue after this, I would then open a support ticket with Antares (for the software) and or Peavey (for the hardware).

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

#15 Den.

Den.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:03 PM

Thanks for you suggestions and help.

#16 GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 02:48 PM

I suspect your borrowed Y cable might be the problem.  Can you get a genuine Peavey Y cable and try again?

#17 Den.

Den.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:55 PM

What might be the differences in commonly available Y cables?

#18 GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:01 PM

The ATG Y cable has 8 pins on the single end and two 5-pin connectors for MIDI in and out.  The common Y-cables out there are 5-pin all around.

#19 Den.

Den.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:05 PM

View PostGuitarBuilder, on 13 August 2017 - 08:01 PM, said:

The ATG Y cable has 8 pins on the single end and two 5-pin connectors for MIDI in and out.  The common Y-cables out there are 5-pin all around.

I thought about that too last week and did a forum search. I found TWO posts where the " Antares Crew Member " indicates that the schematic showing a 5-pin x 3 cable is correct. Here is one post. http://autotuneforgu...page__hl__cable
Is this information incorrect and the post has never been edited/corrected? This could be my problem. My Y-cable is the 5-pin x 3 type.

EDIT: The Y cable pictured in this Antares tutorial is a 5-pin x 3 .
https://vimeo.com/57565001

#20 cags12

cags12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 11:51 PM

Pins 6, 7 and 8 are used for a totally different goal so a 3- end 5 pin Y cable is OK as long as the pins are correctly mapped and you are identifying the IN and OUT correctly with the MIDI interface. What I wonder is if the Y cable is not broken inside.

I suggest you a test. This one depends on you having any of the software packs. Connect the MIDI interface OUT cable directly to the guitar. Install MIDIOX and use it to send MIDI CC messages (I.E string tune) (use the user guide for exact midi channel and values). This will at least tell you that the guitar responds correctly to MIDI input. For testing MIDI output, you need the Y cable and change a preset with fret control.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users