31 replies to this topic

#21 Den.

Den.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:52 AM

View Postcags12, on 13 August 2017 - 11:51 PM, said:

Pins 6, 7 and 8 are used for a totally different goal so a 3- end 5 pin Y cable is OK as long as the pins are correctly mapped and you are identifying the IN and OUT correctly with the MIDI interface. What I wonder is if the Y cable is not broken inside.

I suggest you a test. This one depends on you having any of the software packs...

I don't have any software installed (as far as I know).

View Postcags12, on 13 August 2017 - 11:51 PM, said:

...a 3- end 5 pin Y cable is OK as long as the pins are correctly mapped...
...What I wonder is if the Y cable is not broken inside...

You have given me an idea. I used a multi-meter to check the continuity and mapping of the pins on the borrowed Y cable. This first diagram is the one referred to by the " Antares Crew Member " as being correct.

Attached File  tc-electronic-nova-drive-g-system-midi-y-cable.jpg   67.53K   10 downloads

This diagram was drawn by me of the mapping of the borrowed Y cable.

Attached File  ScreenShot366 s.jpg   62.34K   12 downloads

The way I see it they are different. Am I interpreting this correctly?

#22 cags12

cags12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:05 AM

View PostDen., on 14 August 2017 - 01:52 AM, said:

This diagram was drawn by me of the mapping of the borrowed Y cable.

Attachment ScreenShot366 s.jpg

The way I see it they are different. Am I interpreting this correctly?

I am not sure if you drew this incorrectly or the cable instead of being a real Y is like a splitter sending the same signal to both ends.

The whole point of the Y cable for ATG is that MIDI IN and OUT is sent on the same cable and separated to the right pins on the Y cable. The most important is to map pins 1 and 3 from the ATG  side to pins 4 and 5 on one of the ends of the Y (This would be the MIDI OUT). The other end will be a straight map of pins 4 and 5 on the ATG side (This would be the MIDI IN).

#23 cags12

cags12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:08 AM

May I ask, is it in your plans to purchase the Complete pack? If not, connecting to the Software Manager would probably be useless unless you just look to install the demo applications.

If you are looking to install the Complete pack and change settings and presets, then I strongly recommend to spend the extra money for the official Y cable https://www.sweetwat...tail/AT200Cable or even the AT-200B (also for phantom power) https://www.sweetwat...ail/AT200BPower before they also become unavailable.

#24 Den.

Den.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:06 PM

View Postcags12, on 14 August 2017 - 10:08 AM, said:

May I ask, is it in your plans to purchase the Complete pack? If not, connecting to the Software Manager would probably be useless unless you just look to install the demo applications.

I am looking to install the demos AND one of the software packs.

View Postcags12, on 14 August 2017 - 10:08 AM, said:

If you are looking to install the Complete pack and change settings and presets, then I strongly recommend to spend the extra money for the official Y cable https://www.sweetwat...tail/AT200Cable or even the AT-200B (also for phantom power) https://www.sweetwat...ail/AT200BPower before they also become unavailable.

Thanks for these helpful links.

#25 Den.

Den.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:42 PM

View Postcags12, on 14 August 2017 - 10:05 AM, said:

I am not sure if you drew this incorrectly or the cable instead of being a real Y is like a splitter sending the same signal to both ends.

It's drawn correctly. And yes, it does appear to sent the same to both ends.

View Postcags12, on 14 August 2017 - 10:05 AM, said:

The whole point of the Y cable for ATG is that MIDI IN and OUT is sent on the same cable and separated to the right pins on the Y cable. The most important is to map pins 1 and 3 from the ATG  side to pins 4 and 5 on one of the ends of the Y (This would be the MIDI OUT). The other end will be a straight map of pins 4 and 5 on the ATG side (This would be the MIDI IN).

This is a VERY helpful statement. This makes me start to understand this ( approved ) cable diagram:

Attached File  tc-electronic-nova-drive-g-system-midi-y-cable.jpg   67.53K   5 downloads

In the CONNECTOR WIRING diagram, in the bottom right corner of the picture, it shows wire connections on only TWO pins in each of the MIDI side ends. It seems to show that the blue wire ( pin-2 ) of the ATG side connector is not used at all. And this seems makes sense. I think I will try rewiring/splicing this "borrowed" Y cord to conform to the diagram.

#26 cags12

cags12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:22 AM

Exactly. Just so you know Pin 2 is indeed connected to ground only on the ATG side to create a shield throughout the whole cable. The MIDI specifications requires that only the OUT of a device is connected like this.
I must confess that in the case of a Y cable I am not fully sure if the IN of the other side of the cable that goes to the OUT of the MIDI interface has actually any connection to ground or shield (based on the MIDI specification). You can tell me after you open your cable :).

Anyway, I am convinced your issue is with the Y cable now.

#27 cags12

cags12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:31 AM

Right, in the diagram the left side shield is NC = Not connected. So that means the shield is created by the ATG side only.

#28 Den.

Den.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:21 AM

View Postcags12, on 15 August 2017 - 12:31 AM, said:

Right, in the diagram the left side shield is NC = Not connected. So that means the shield is created by the ATG side only.

Do I take this to mean that the blue wire from pin-2 on the ATG connector is NOT connected to ANY pin on either of the MIDI connectors?

#29 cags12

cags12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:34 AM

View PostDen., on 15 August 2017 - 02:21 AM, said:

Do I take this to mean that the green wire from pin-2 on the ATG connector is NOT connected to ANY pin on either of the MIDI connectors?
That means that pin 2 coming from the guitar is only connected on the ATG side of the Y cable to the shield of the same. But pin-2 is not connected to anything on the other two sides of the Y cable going to the MIDI interface.

#30 Henrik

Henrik

Antares Crew Member

• Administrators
  • 344 posts
  • LocationThe sprawling Antares megacenter

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:33 PM

cags12 is correct in that you are using an older MIDI splitter cable.  These were at one point used for stereo/hifi equipment and are different than the MIDI IN/OUT MIDI Y-Cable used for the ATG stuff. If you copy the wiring diagram above that we posted some years ago, you will have a functioning MIDI Y-Cable. Thank you cags12 for all of the assistance!

#31 Den.

Den.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 12:21 AM

I was able to modify/splice my incorrect Y cable successfully. I have already installed the three preview programs and am working with them right now.

Thanks everyone for your help, Den

/

#32 cags12

cags12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 07:24 PM

Great you finally made it. Now get hurry and buy your complete pack.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users