• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 jolemc

jolemc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:27 PM

I will be returning mine tomorrow after gathering all the infomation on what I needed and how much more it was going to cost me. I agree with everyone that it's no more than a $250 or $300 guitar at best and there is no way I'm investing $700 plus for all the extra features. I have been tuning guitars for a long time, about 50 years so I think I can manage. I just thought it was pretty cool. Now I can take that money and get the Fender I had in my hand before I saw this one.

#22 maxxbass

maxxbass

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:19 AM

I get it Jolemc...trust me! If the packs were reasonably priced and it was painless and inexpensive to update (like using a usb cable like every other device on the planet currently) I think more people would be ok with the Antares product being on a cheap guitar...however, you figured out the reality pretty quick. I have been trying to sell mine on Craigslist for the last month for less than $300 and I haven't had ANY bites. I have to imagine that Antares will not be seeing much action unless they change their product model. Unfortunately for Peavey I'm sure that Antares already got paid for their stuff and Peavey is the one having to deal with unhappy dealers, online retailers and loyal customers who have been stuck with what really amounts to a bunch of cheap hardware and extremely expensive software.

From my perspective, the guitar is a neat gimmick...but nobody wants to shell out serious cash for a gimmick. This is why product and marketing research companies exist to determine if there is really a market for something and if so, how must a product be tailored to meet the needs of the market. I guess Antares and Peavey spent more money on hype marketing and less on finding out if this business model would work.

#23 maxxbass

maxxbass

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:27 PM

View PostClansfolk, on 15 March 2013 - 11:35 AM, said:

Batteries haven't been a problem with me.... as yet haven't tried rechargeable as we buy AA & AAA in bulk for other stage equipment eg transmitters (which we change for each gig whether needed or not for peace of mind) and like changing strings are part of the  "JOB" - certainly get more than the couple of hours a 3 set gig would last :0)

I just spent another $9.99 for AA batteries which brings my total spent for the AT-200 to $40+ (with tax) on batteries in a short 2 1/2 months. At this rate, I will spend close to $200 a year on batteries to run this guitar...awesome!!! (and yes I am aware of the AT-200B which currently has no date for availability)

#24 BJMcG

BJMcG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:24 PM

I've been using rechargeables for several months, getting about 5 hrs per charge. Most of my playing is single note lead- if you play mostly rhythm, you may not get that much time out of a set...
In any event, if you have two sets of 4 AAs, that should get you through most gigs.
You can get set up with 8 rechargeables and a charger for less than $30. Most of these batteries claim to be good for 1000 cycles, but even if they only get you 500 cycles, that works out to 3 to 6 cents a night.

As a caveat, I have yet to buy a feature pack so I don't know how that might affect battery life.

#25 maxxbass

maxxbass

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:27 PM

Accourding to Antares Member Henrik:

"We are sorry that you are having difficulties. Please look for an email from our Auto-Tune for Guitar support.  Thank you very much for your patience!  Here are a few steps to try:

1. Make sure that you are using "regular" non-rechargable as the voltage in a rechargeable battery is only 1.2 Volts instead of 1.5 Volts, which is in a regular AA battery.
2. Have the guitar turned off.
3. Pluck the A (A2) string and immediately turn the guitar on while the string is still ringing.

Your guitar should now work properly"

Antares apparently does not recommend or support the use of rechargeable batteries.

Interesting perspective on lead playing using less battery than chords...go figure

#26 anomalous

anomalous

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:22 AM

not playing it also saves on batteries. not being able to palm mute has severely gimped this tool for me and im playing it a lot less than i thought i would. palm mutes are just frustrating and a turn off.

#27 leads

leads

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:05 AM

View Postanomalous, on 24 March 2013 - 12:22 AM, said:

not playing it also saves on batteries. not being able to palm mute has severely gimped this tool for me and im playing it a lot less than i thought i would. palm mutes are just frustrating and a turn off.
THIS is not a problem when you have the Peavey AT200B Breakout Box.... ;)

#28 leads

leads

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:08 AM

View PostElvador, on 07 February 2013 - 04:00 PM, said:

I don't get it, Peavey sells the same guitar without the autotune feature for $200.   It seems you are suggesting that the features of the AT200 are only worth $50 since you said it should sell for $250.   $50?  I guarantee that just the hardware involved in the guitar would cost a lot more than $50.   Regular autotune software starts at $100 and there's nothing in there but a $1.50 CD rom!   All of the cost is in the development, plus the guitar has a board in it with an expensive DSP.  Not just that but I looked at what the volume pot with the switch costs on the street, check it out:

http://www.musicians...mbucker-pickups

I use my AT-200 all the time!
I also use my AT200 in all of gigs...its fantastic... :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users