Jump to content


ATG-1 - Wow

Floor Processor

  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mgeanaco

mgeanaco

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:27 PM

I just received my  ATG-1 ..  This thing is great... I have been waiting for this since it was first announced over two years ago ( I could be wrong about when it was first announced)
It's build like a tank, it looks good and sounds terrific.. It is way ahead of the AT-200. It comes loaded with the equivalent of the 3.10 Complete pack..  
It is so much better than Fret Control for saving and storing presets and switching presets on the fly...
I love this thing !!

#2 Henrik

Henrik

    Antares Crew Member

  • Administrators
  • 344 posts
  • LocationThe sprawling Antares megacenter

Posted 01 April 2015 - 03:54 PM

View Postmgeanaco, on 31 March 2015 - 07:27 PM, said:

I just received my  ATG-1 ..  This thing is great... I have been waiting for this since it was first announced over two years ago ( I could be wrong about when it was first announced)
It's build like a tank, it looks good and sounds terrific.. It is way ahead of the AT-200. It comes loaded with the equivalent of the 3.10 Complete pack..  
It is so much better than Fret Control for saving and storing presets and switching presets on the fly...
I love this thing !!

Hey Mgeanaco,

Thanks for the feedback! Glad to hear that you like the ATG-1.

#3 cole

cole

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:16 PM

Dear mgeanaco, I have owned 2 peavey AT-200's with Complete Pack.I would like to know if all of the problems with the AT-200 guitar are SOLVED with the ATG-1 floor pedal? Problems like  Background Noise  ,Crosstalk , Low Level Hum , Palm Muting Noise , etc. If these problems are fixed I will probably purchase in the near future. thank you in advance for any information you could give me.

#4 mgeanaco

mgeanaco

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:45 PM

Cole...
I never experienced any problems with my AT-200 so I really can't say if those problems are solved.  I do know that it sounds better than my AT-200, not sure why, I don't know if Antares upgraded the internals that make the magic happen. I am playing it through a Godin xtSA.
I do know for performance, thanks to the presets, it's a  lot better than than doing the Fret Control thing.  I was always screwing that up between songs, Now its a breeze. Plus you can now instantly change presets in the middle of tune.
Hope this helps some..

#5 cole

cole

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 12:13 AM

thanks for the quick reply mgeanaco!! much appreciated!!   Henrik, can you let us know if the performance is improved and if the problems mentioned above in my other post are solved?... I do alot of recording and these issues matter a great deal to me........ thanks cole

#6 Henrik

Henrik

    Antares Crew Member

  • Administrators
  • 344 posts
  • LocationThe sprawling Antares megacenter

Posted 02 April 2015 - 06:26 PM

View Postcole, on 01 April 2015 - 10:16 PM, said:

Dear mgeanaco, I have owned 2 peavey AT-200's with Complete Pack.I would like to know if all of the problems with the AT-200 guitar are SOLVED with the ATG-1 floor pedal? Problems like  Background Noise  ,Crosstalk , Low Level Hum , Palm Muting Noise , etc. If these problems are fixed I will probably purchase in the near future. thank you in advance for any information you could give me.

View Postcole, on 02 April 2015 - 12:13 AM, said:

thanks for the quick reply mgeanaco!! much appreciated!!   Henrik, can you let us know if the performance is improved and if the problems mentioned above in my other post are solved?... I do alot of recording and these issues matter a great deal to me........ thanks cole

Hello Cole,

There will be a difference when using a piezo equipped or a magnetic hex-pickup equipped guitar with a 13 pin out.  Here are the differences that we have found:

Piezo:  These will be more sensitive to your hand should your hand touch the pickups when playing.  This is especially noticably when playing using a palm muting technique as your hand is often resting on the saddles.  We have also found that some piezos (especially on low quality piezos) do not offer as good of channel separation resulting in cross talk between the strings.  When using high quality piezos, the problem with cross talk is not much of an issue (Both GraphTech and RMC piezos are great!), however, when palm muting, you would most likely be better of using a magnetic hex pickup.

Magnetic hex pickup:  These genarally offer better channel separation and are a better choice for palm muting type of playing.

As far as sound quality of the ATG-1.  The electronics (especially the A/D and D/A converters) inside the ATG-1 are of the highest quality and will perform better in regards to noise, overall sound quality, and offer a higher dynamic range than you will find on the AT-200.  Do keep in mind that these improvements are reflected in the price of the ATG-1 vs. the price of the AT-200.

#7 Sacco

Sacco

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 03:06 PM

So...can one buy an AT200 and replace the chip inside? and possibly also install the hex pickup, lets say in front of the saddles?
AT200 with swapped ATG system with two encoders.

Windows 10 in a powerful desktop PC

#8 mgeanaco

mgeanaco

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 03:30 PM

Not sure what chip you want to replace and where you would get the chip to replace it with..  You can get  a Roland GK3 compatible pickup and install it on the AT200 ( or practically any other guitar) .. to plug into the ATG-1..  
I just ended up buying a new guitar (Godin xtSA), all I needed was the Roland 13 pin cable and I was good to go ...

#9 Aartsbok

Aartsbok

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationFlanders - Belgium

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:27 PM

So... I'm actually in the process of building a new guitar from the ground up and I was intending to put in the luthier dual encoder kit.

My "thoughts" were, I can play the guitar as originally intended anytime I can, when I switch the AT off and enjoy the guitar with it's seymore duncan black winter pickup set without any trouble. And if I want to fondle with the AT (songwriting and such) I will have the oppurtunity with the highest possible quality antares has to offer right now...

But is that actually true? does the bridge of an original guitar need to be modified to install the antares luthier kit? Can I just play and palm mute like I would be able to on an original guitar when I switch the AT off?

Should I just have the guitar get built witout the AT and rather invest int he floorpanel at a later time?

I play through a peavey vypyr pro amp, the amp modeling is great. I just thought since I am building the guitar from scratch (not myself, but by a relatively new company with a rather impressive portfolio allready) I might as well just get it built in since it's on discount and such now. I had the idea that a luthier kit installation doesn't alter the original playability of a non-floyd equiped guitar.

Am I wrong? Good advice would be higly appreciated :) I'll put in a lot of saved up coin in this guitar and I really do not want to make a mistake in having put  in the luthier kit.
*Representing the satisfaction of vocal vulgarity*

#10 Henrik

Henrik

    Antares Crew Member

  • Administrators
  • 344 posts
  • LocationThe sprawling Antares megacenter

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:45 PM

View PostAartsbok, on 11 July 2017 - 04:27 PM, said:

So... I'm actually in the process of building a new guitar from the ground up and I was intending to put in the luthier dual encoder kit.

My "thoughts" were, I can play the guitar as originally intended anytime I can, when I switch the AT off and enjoy the guitar with it's seymore duncan black winter pickup set without any trouble. And if I want to fondle with the AT (songwriting and such) I will have the oppurtunity with the highest possible quality antares has to offer right now...

But is that actually true? does the bridge of an original guitar need to be modified to install the antares luthier kit? Can I just play and palm mute like I would be able to on an original guitar when I switch the AT off?

Should I just have the guitar get built witout the AT and rather invest int he floorpanel at a later time?

I play through a peavey vypyr pro amp, the amp modeling is great. I just thought since I am building the guitar from scratch (not myself, but by a relatively new company with a rather impressive portfolio allready) I might as well just get it built in since it's on discount and such now. I had the idea that a luthier kit installation doesn't alter the original playability of a non-floyd equiped guitar.

Am I wrong? Good advice would be higly appreciated :) I'll put in a lot of saved up coin in this guitar and I really do not want to make a mistake in having put  in the luthier kit.

Yes, you can switch between the ATG system built in and the magnetic pickups on the guitar.

No, the original bridge of the guitar does not need any modification.  The hexaphonic magnetic pickup that feeds the signal to the ATG system needs to be mounted between the bridge and the bridge pickup.

Yes, the hexaphonic pickup allows for palm muting.  Piezo pickups as you have probably read all over this forum is in most cases not well suited for palm muting.

#11 Aartsbok

Aartsbok

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationFlanders - Belgium

Posted 11 July 2017 - 06:41 PM

View PostHenrik, on 11 July 2017 - 04:45 PM, said:

Yes, you can switch between the ATG system built in and the magnetic pickups on the guitar.

No, the original bridge of the guitar does not need any modification.  The hexaphonic magnetic pickup that feeds the signal to the ATG system needs to be mounted between the bridge and the bridge pickup.

Yes, the hexaphonic pickup allows for palm muting.  Piezo pickups as you have probably read all over this forum is in most cases not well suited for palm muting.

Thank you! So you advise to indeed install the luthier kit rather then to invest in a floorboard at a later time.

Perhaps you can help me decide. I need to choose between blade switch or pick up selector, I think I'd go for the triple way pick up selector (for the looks, unless you advise otherwise), but I do not know if I need the lp or st board or the lp or st pick-up width.

The guitar I'm getting custum built is:

Alder body, maple neck, 24 frets, rosewood fingerboard, seymour duncan black winter pick-up set (2 passive pick ups)

This specific model: http://www.schuriken....php?cPath=3_39

I need to know this exactly because the guitar builder told me they can install the kit without problems, but that I need to provide it to them. So I need to know what to order :).

I allready own the AT-200 guitar and I love what the autotune does but I don't like how the guitar plays, sounds or responds... that's why I want to opt for a custom installation (I was going to build that guitar anyway).
*Representing the satisfaction of vocal vulgarity*

#12 Henrik

Henrik

    Antares Crew Member

  • Administrators
  • 344 posts
  • LocationThe sprawling Antares megacenter

Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:49 PM

View PostAartsbok, on 11 July 2017 - 06:41 PM, said:

Thank you! So you advise to indeed install the luthier kit rather then to invest in a floorboard at a later time.

Perhaps you can help me decide. I need to choose between blade switch or pick up selector, I think I'd go for the triple way pick up selector (for the looks, unless you advise otherwise), but I do not know if I need the lp or st board or the lp or st pick-up width.

The guitar I'm getting custum built is:

Alder body, maple neck, 24 frets, rosewood fingerboard, seymour duncan black winter pick-up set (2 passive pick ups)

This specific model: http://www.schuriken....php?cPath=3_39

I need to know this exactly because the guitar builder told me they can install the kit without problems, but that I need to provide it to them. So I need to know what to order :).

I allready own the AT-200 guitar and I love what the autotune does but I don't like how the guitar plays, sounds or responds... that's why I want to opt for a custom installation (I was going to build that guitar anyway).

ATG kit vs. ATG-1 Floor Processor is really up to you.  If you want the technology inside the guitar, then the kit is for you.  If you want a 13-pin equipped guitar (perhaps you are already using one) and the ATG technology at your feet, then the ATG-1 might be for you.

A "T" (Tele) or "LP" (Les Paul) switch both requires the "LP" board as it is set up for 3 positions.  An "ST" (Strat) requires the "ST" board as this has 5 pickup positions.  So if you have a two humbucker configuration, then a either a Tele or Les Paul type switch would be appropriate.

#13 mgeanaco

mgeanaco

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 04:00 PM

View PostHenrik, on 11 July 2017 - 10:49 PM, said:

ATG kit vs. ATG-1 Floor Processor is really up to you.  If you want the technology inside the guitar, then the kit is for you.  If you want a 13-pin equipped guitar (perhaps you are already using one) and the ATG technology at your feet, then the ATG-1 might be for you.

A "T" (Tele) or "LP" (Les Paul) switch both requires the "LP" board as it is set up for 3 positions.  An "ST" (Strat) requires the "ST" board as this has 5 pickup positions.  So if you have a two humbucker configuration, then a either a Tele or Les Paul type switch would be appropriate.

If I was having a custom guitar made, I would probably forego the Luthier kit and have a something like the RolandGK-KIT-GT3 pickup installed. Then you can use the ATG-1 floor processor. Now, I have never used the Luthier Kit, but I did start out with AT-200 Guitar. I am assuming the Luthier Kit functions pretty much the same as the AT200 ( although I could be way off here).  Anyway I find the floor processor much more robust to use then the AT200..   Anyway, with the 13pin interface you can now use guitar synths like the Roland GR55.  

Anyway, that is my two cents...  

Good Luck




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users