• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 snhirsch

snhirsch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 11:55 AM

It's helpful that the ATG-1 recognizes Roland GK controls, but response to the Mag/Both/Model selector would be a lot more useful if the 'mag' and 'both' positions passed the magnetic pickup signal through the ATG-1.  Granted, 'both' may not be entirely useful in the case where the guitar is not in concert pitch and being heavily corrected, but at least consider a straight-through routing in 'Mag only' position?  I drive my ATG-1 with a Roland GC-1 Strat and will have to run a second cable and A/B switcher to make use of the mag pickups.

Second request:  I think the Strat emulation falls a bit short.  The E and B strings sound very thin and 'screamy'.  They are voiced quite differently from the other four strings, at least to my ears.

#2 Henrik

Henrik

Antares Crew Member

• Administrators
  • 344 posts
  • LocationThe sprawling Antares megacenter

Posted 04 May 2015 - 03:32 PM

View Postsnhirsch, on 30 April 2015 - 11:55 AM, said:

It's helpful that the ATG-1 recognizes Roland GK controls, but response to the Mag/Both/Model selector would be a lot more useful if the 'mag' and 'both' positions passed the magnetic pickup signal through the ATG-1.  Granted, 'both' may not be entirely useful in the case where the guitar is not in concert pitch and being heavily corrected, but at least consider a straight-through routing in 'Mag only' position?  I drive my ATG-1 with a Roland GC-1 Strat and will have to run a second cable and A/B switcher to make use of the mag pickups.

Second request:  I think the Strat emulation falls a bit short.  The E and B strings sound very thin and 'screamy'.  They are voiced quite differently from the other four strings, at least to my ears.

Hey snhirsch,

Yes, we do realize that a separate output for the magnetic pickups is a great idea and should have been included.

As far as the Strat sounding thin and "screamy."  Is this in every pickup position?  Obviously, sounds is very subjective, but it would be nice to know exactly what you are hearing.  I do assume that you did setup the ATG-1 for use with a magnetic hex pickup, carefully entering all of the values.  This is crucial to get the best sound quality.

Thank you!

#3 snhirsch

snhirsch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:20 PM

View PostHenrik, on 04 May 2015 - 03:32 PM, said:

As far as the Strat sounding thin and "screamy."  Is this in every pickup position?  Obviously, sounds is very subjective, but it would be nice to know exactly what you are hearing.  I do assume that you did setup the ATG-1 for use with a magnetic hex pickup, carefully entering all of the values.  This is crucial to get the best sound quality.

I notice it the most when using the middle pickup at high gain (think Hendrix "Watchtower"), but it's evident to some degree on all Strat settings.  I was very careful to set pickup type and string offsets.

I use 10-42 string guages and the action on this guitar is not particularly low, so fret buzz is not likely to be a factor.  In fairness, this seems to be the weakest area for all modeled guitar systems I own (ATG, Line6 JTV and Roland GR-55).  Not one of them sounds realistic in 'Strat' mode / middle p/u / hi-gain.  Lacking the appropriate equipment I cannot quantify it, but the spectral weighting seems "off" on the top two strings.  This is the only reason why I need the Mag output of the GC-1 - so I can switch back to mag pickups for one or two tunes.

#4 Mike

Mike

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationDexter, Michigan

Posted 26 August 2015 - 01:38 PM

First things ... the ATG-1 is a significant game changer for me. I do a lot of acoustic open tuning songs across 7-9 different tunings and not only does the ATG-1 make the process simpler, the quality of the DSP together with the lowest latency of any guitar processor I've used, is simply the best thing that could have ever happened. My Godin xtSA sounds wonderful through it.

May have been covered in another post, but this one was the first I found about feature requests.

I have a TC-Helicon VL3x that I now only use for vocals. Before acquiring the ATG-1 (yesterday) I was plugging the guitar directly into the VL3x and the Chord changes were picked up from the guitar in and reflected in the Vocal Harmonies on the VL3x.

Using the VL3x as a Guitar/Amp modeler is ok but there are better ones out there. I am not a fan of the guitar looper or guitar effects/processing on the VL3x

What is needed: MIDI Chain - using MIDI Chords to trigger the VL3x Natural Play for vocal harmonies from the ATG-1. I don't want to use the analog guitar out of the ATG-1 to the VL3x guitar/aux in, but instead use MIDI.

However, the ATG-1, as I understand it, does not send guitar controlled MIDI CC and querying the ATG-1 for guitar level SysEx, is not available. But I'm new to the ATG-1 and possibly there might be a work-around ...

To review: I want to use the ATG-1 as a MIDI-trigger (utilizing Guitar level CC and/or SysEx) if possible.

The rig is expanding and in the next 6-months to include a Fractal FX2 and a Pigtronics Looper and ahead of those purchases, I want to get the ATG-1, VL3x, Beat Buddy, and a few other MIDI controllable devices, triggering and talking. I can do part of it already using FL Studio Pro, including triggering the ATG-1 from FL Studio Pro.

I have a reasonable understanding of MIDI and presently use a MOTU micro-lite as the MIDI interface to the PC.

How can I create an effective MIDI-Chain that includes the ATG-1 as a trigger for the VL3x?

Your pointers are very much welcome and if, in the end what I want to achieve is not possible, I would be really grateful if you could add this functionality in a future software or platform version (or both!).

Kind regards,
Mike Levine

#5 Mike

Mike

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationDexter, Michigan

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:06 PM

I see some of the answers on other posts now, and it seems for right now, it's not possible.
Ok, that at least provides another opportunity to discover the solution with what's available.

#6 Henrik

Henrik

Antares Crew Member

• Administrators
  • 344 posts
  • LocationThe sprawling Antares megacenter

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:48 PM

View PostMike, on 26 August 2015 - 01:38 PM, said:

First things ... the ATG-1 is a significant game changer for me. I do a lot of acoustic open tuning songs across 7-9 different tunings and not only does the ATG-1 make the process simpler, the quality of the DSP together with the lowest latency of any guitar processor I've used, is simply the best thing that could have ever happened. My Godin xtSA sounds wonderful through it.

May have been covered in another post, but this one was the first I found about feature requests.

I have a TC-Helicon VL3x that I now only use for vocals. Before acquiring the ATG-1 (yesterday) I was plugging the guitar directly into the VL3x and the Chord changes were picked up from the guitar in and reflected in the Vocal Harmonies on the VL3x.

Using the VL3x as a Guitar/Amp modeler is ok but there are better ones out there. I am not a fan of the guitar looper or guitar effects/processing on the VL3x

What is needed: MIDI Chain - using MIDI Chords to trigger the VL3x Natural Play for vocal harmonies from the ATG-1. I don't want to use the analog guitar out of the ATG-1 to the VL3x guitar/aux in, but instead use MIDI.

However, the ATG-1, as I understand it, does not send guitar controlled MIDI CC and querying the ATG-1 for guitar level SysEx, is not available. But I'm new to the ATG-1 and possibly there might be a work-around ...

To review: I want to use the ATG-1 as a MIDI-trigger (utilizing Guitar level CC and/or SysEx) if possible.

The rig is expanding and in the next 6-months to include a Fractal FX2 and a Pigtronics Looper and ahead of those purchases, I want to get the ATG-1, VL3x, Beat Buddy, and a few other MIDI controllable devices, triggering and talking. I can do part of it already using FL Studio Pro, including triggering the ATG-1 from FL Studio Pro.

I have a reasonable understanding of MIDI and presently use a MOTU micro-lite as the MIDI interface to the PC.

How can I create an effective MIDI-Chain that includes the ATG-1 as a trigger for the VL3x?

Your pointers are very much welcome and if, in the end what I want to achieve is not possible, I would be really grateful if you could add this functionality in a future software or platform version (or both!).

Kind regards,
Mike Levine

View PostMike, on 26 August 2015 - 02:06 PM, said:

I see some of the answers on other posts now, and it seems for right now, it's not possible.
Ok, that at least provides another opportunity to discover the solution with what's available.

Hello Mike,

At this time, sending MIDI from the ATG-1 as you describe is not possible.  I did think of one solution for you, which you may already have tried:

You could send one of the output signals from the ATG-1 to the TC VL3x and the other signal directly to your amp.  You would set up the ATG-1 to send a mono signal to both outputs to achieve the same signal.  Perhaps this is a solution for you, yes?

We are of course always looking to add new features to the ATG technology, and would be interested in looking into if what you are asking might be a possibility.  Would you mind sending an email to us about this request for us to discuss with our developer?  The email address is:  support [at] autotuneforguitar.com

Thank you!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ATG-1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users