Clansfolk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationThe Fylde, Lancashire UK

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:02 PM

Looking forward to talking to my AT200 (once it arrives :rolleyes: ) via MIDI

This I believe will be able through the Breakout Box (to be produced by Peavey), or a currently available Y adapter... they (I presume) will allow connection to an iPhone/iPad via a unit such as the iRIG or similar interface?

I was wondering on the feasibility of a single adapter that would terminate on one end with the "Midi" port on the AT200 and the other end  with the iPhone/iPad (original) socket? If feasible where do you see the development of such a lead? Yourselves? Peavey? Apple?

Likewise iApps to drive the MIDI functions of the AT200? are any dedicated apps in development by yourselves?

cheers

Pete :unsure:
Still plucking after all these years
https://www.facebook...ps/PeaveyAT200/

#2 marco

marco

Antares Crew Member

• Administrators
  • 56 posts
  • LocationThe sprawling Antares megacenter

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:06 AM

For MIDI control, you can plug a regular 5-pin MIDI cable directly into the AT-200's DIN socket, so you can go directly from a controller that puts out MIDI on a 5-pin connector directly into the AT-200. For an iPad or iPhone, you need to go from something like the Camera Connection Kit to a class-complient USB MIDI interface and from there into the AT-200.

#3 Clansfolk

Clansfolk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationThe Fylde, Lancashire UK

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:42 PM

Many thanks I didn't realize the 8pin din on the AT-200 was compatible with a 5pin din :)

In that case I have all I need (also have the Alesis iOdock which has midi) and more in my collection on add ons .
Still plucking after all these years
https://www.facebook...ps/PeaveyAT200/

#4 Solastobann

Solastobann

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:05 AM

I just took delivery of my guitar, which took about a month to get from Sweetwater.com. $499, no shipping, no tax. I see that Amazon.com is selling them now, for $500. Bear in mind it doesn't from Amazon.com directly, but from one of its merchants. I had very good luck with Sweetwater.com, they tested the guitar before they shipped it, emailed me a number of photographs of my actual guitar before I got it, and had it packed extremely well.
My first impression of the guitar is very positive. After many years of tuning, I don't miss it.
If I have any complaints about the guitar is that it is one of those designed in the USA, made in China, like Apple products. All of that fancy electronics was handed over to our Chinese friends to do whatever they want to with it. I know they have contracts and all that sort of thing, but it was certainly handed to them on a silver platter. The other complaint is that it loves to eat batteries.
The guitar came with a single sheet of paper, in lieu an actual instruction book. Instruction book is on a CD, and you can download it from the website, but it still isn't nice as having an actual, printed, booklet.
I would have preferred that they spent an extra $.10 and printed out a booklet.
I also received my Y adapter for MIDI setup, which I bought elsewhere. Pricey and none too long.
Being of the in four a penny, in for a pound, school, I also spent $20 on the iPad app, MIDI designer. If you think that the guitar has a dearth of instructions, take a look at MIDI designer. Somewhere out there, there is the iPad  template for MIDI designer, as that is the iPad app you see in the demonstration videos. I have written to the folks at MIDI designer to find out where I can get the template, how I download it or upload or sideload, or whatever is done, and how it works. I just wrote them and, of course, haven't had a response.
I also wrote Peavey to see how this all goes together, and they gave me textual instructions, but it is quite the same as a step-by-step diagram.
I already own a camera adapter, i.e., a USB adapter for the iPad.
Consequently, according to my calculations, the only thing I need now, besides the template is the adapter to plug the Y connector in, and then the USB goes into the camera adapter.
At that point, I should have fire and lights and can tune for "maximum smoke."
Incidentally, I plugged my electronic tuner in to the guitar and it seems smack dab in tune.
It came with a set of four carbon batteries, which lasted just about an hour. I replaced them with AA lithium batteries, which are still going strong.
Once the companion box, the AT 200 B comes out, some time in the unknown future, then it won't need batteries.
When the batteries start to get low, the LED indicator light on the side of the pickup starts to blink. That's not telling you that you should start thinking about changing the batteries; it says "change the batteries."
Overall, I give the guitar a 99%. The 1% markdown is for battery life and crummy instructions.
Once I get all the various parts together and get them to work, I will post detailed instructions and a diagram, so you don't have to go through the same hassle I am.

#5 marco

marco

Antares Crew Member

• Administrators
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:45 PM

Thanks for the report. The final MIDI Designer template will be available from us here soon. We're currently finalizing the software feature packs and once that's done the release version of the template will follow.

We'll also be adding detailed guides to MIDI connection and control, so it won't remain a mystery for long.

Again, thanks.

#6 shamrocka77

shamrocka77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:26 PM

Hi Marco, I just picked up an AT-200 and have been happy with the tuning function thus far.  I have been playing guitar for a long time but am very amateur in the MIDI department.  I have seen diagrams of the AT-200B having MIDI out ports.  Can the AT-200 guitar be used in any way as a MIDI controller for other products (i.e. a Roland guitar synth).  The setup I envision is the AT-200 out to the AT-200B which would be connected to a MIDI synth such as the Roland products into an amp/computer/monitor.  Would this be possibe, or would a separate MIDI controller be required to control the synth?  Thanks.

#7 marco

marco

Antares Crew Member

• Administrators
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:28 PM

The MIDI out on the AT-200B breakout box and the MIDI Y-cables is solely for communicating with your computer during software transfers (i.e., software updates or software feature packs). No note data goes out via MIDI, so it can't currently be used as a MIDI controller.

#8 Falcon

Falcon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:00 AM

I have a ipad4, cables, installed pro designer.
is it all to operate the guitar?
or must with a pc loader software in the guitar?

#9 Solastobann

Solastobann

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:13 AM

I have all that too; just waiting for the pro designer template. You can see it on this website, you can see them using it in the video, but it hasn't been released yet. Until then, just wait, wait, wait...

#10 Falcon

Falcon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

is he going to have to buy software package or designer pro not need anything else?

#11 Solastobann

Solastobann

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

As near as I can tell, you need the guitar, an amp, iPad, the Designer Pro app ($19.95) the Y midi cable and one of several boxes to get from the midi cable to the iPad. The key piece of the puzzle is the template for Designer Pro. Designer Pro can be modified to do different things. To save the effort, you can load templates. Antares obviously has come up with a working template, but, strangely and maddenly, they haven't released it. Maybe it is vaporware and only exists as a mockup. I can see no other reason why Antares doesn't release it as Ver 1.0. They can always change it. If it works for the videos, and it isn't Beyoncé lip synching the National Anthem, why not release it?
It should be free, but who knows?
Incidentally, I asked the software guy who produces Designer Pro if he had a copy of the template I could have. He was completely unaware of the project. Now, maybe Beyoncé--er, Antares--didn't need his help, but the conspiracy theorists here might think it is vaporware after all.
Next thing, they'll be saying we walked on the moon. As-if!

#12 BJMcG

BJMcG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

I have the template on my iPad now. I opened it in Midi Designer Pro ( it would not load into the free version of the app) using

http://www.autotunef...t.mididesigner.

It's the "free control layout" link on the performance control tab at the auto tune for guitar web site.

I don't know if it actually does anything since I don't yet have the cables to hook it up.

Somewhere they have elaborate instructions to get the template using a PC or Mac and emailing it to your iPad but I just did it all within my iPad. Then again, as I say, I have yet to actually use it...

#13 Solastobann

Solastobann

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:35 AM

Thanks. I'm surprised the released it without notifying any of us chumps who signed up for such updates.
Can you give a step-by-step on how to get the layout into the MIDI Designer Pro?
I love the guitar, but the rest of the experience has been like undergoing third-world dentistry.

#14 Solastobann

Solastobann

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:44 AM

I answered my own question. For those who haven't tumbled to the answer, is, rather than open in your PC or Mac, you simply double-click the link in the iPad's email itself. There then is a choice to open it in MIDI Designer Pro. As BJ, above, says, you need the paid version, which is $20. Then, you need the rat's nest of connections... I have them, I think, so I will attempt to make it all work. If I can, I'll post a DETAILED post of what goes where.

#15 marco

marco

Antares Crew Member

• Administrators
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

Actually, we made the MIDI Designer Pro Layout available a couple of weeks ago, but we didn't send out a notice about it because until the Software Feature Packs are available, there's nothing you can really do with it except touch the buttons and watch them turn that lovely bright green.

You can find detailed instructions on loading and saving it here.

BTW, if all goes well, the Feature Packs should become available by the end of the day.

#16 IamDunn

IamDunn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:59 PM

View Postmarco, on 28 January 2013 - 06:59 PM, said:

Actually, we made the MIDI Designer Pro Layout available a couple of weeks ago, but we didn't send out a notice about it because until the Software Feature Packs are available, there's nothing you can really do with it except touch the buttons and watch them turn that lovely bright green.

You can find detailed instructions on loading and saving it here.

BTW, if all goes well, the Feature Packs should become available by the end of the day.

Hi there... I am a musician, I can't afford to buy an iPad... LOL... Can you guys design a layout that will work on an iTouch... Thanks so much... (I do get the layout to open up in MDP on my iTouch, but can only see about 20% of the total layout.

#17 marco

marco

Antares Crew Member

• Administrators
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:55 AM

We're looking at doing an iPhone/iTouch version. Watch for news.

#18 dotted8th

dotted8th

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:41 AM

I've hooked up my AT-200 to an iPad using MIDI Designer and the M-Audio Uno interface and it has really added to my enjoyment of this instrument.
Having instant access to the tunings, doublings, capo, and pickup models let's you try out lots of combinations quickly.
I do have one question: when recalling saved presets using the MIDI Designer load presets screen,
the MIDI Designer main screen doesn't seem to update to show the new preset settings even though the guitar is using the new settings.
Has anyone else experienced this?

#19 a2dconverter

a2dconverter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:59 PM

I have created a new template for the MIDI PRO DESIGNER and  AT-200 PRO PACK on the iPhone.... works like a charm!

Posted Image

Here is the MIDI DESIGN PRO template

Posted Image

and here is how I connected it all up...

Posted Image

using my home-made break-out box...

I integrated an iRig MIDI so that I do not need to use the MIDI DIN Jacks, M-AUDIO Uno or Apple USB connection kit when hooking up to the iPad MINI!

The MIDI DIN Jacks are still hot if I need to do a guitar Firmware update or if I want to use the iRig Midi for some other purpose beside the Peavey AT-200

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Have fun!

seeya

Joe

#20 handymansteve

handymansteve

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Locationcanada

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:30 PM

the template is not open-able how do i open this template in my iphone i have midi designer pro installed on my iphone 5c  so is the template already in  there?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: midi, iPhone, ipad, interface, app, connection, adapter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users