3 replies to this topic

#1 romeoK

romeoK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 12:35 PM

Hello guys!

I've bought the AT-200 a week ago and so far i like it very much. I'm using it with Rocksmith 2014 and now i change tunings from E-Standard down to A-Standard in only a matter of seconds!

However i found that when i tune down to Eb-Drop-Db , the (open) high e-string is always 12 cent sharp, making it a bit picky to get it registered within the Rocksmith tuner.

In E-Standard tuning the (open) high e-string is fine (+0 cent divergence)

I wonder if it will make a difference when i correct the (physical) intonation of the high e-string. I know the guitar has SolidTune, but is it already active when doing StringTune? (I haven't tried the physical intonation yet because i read it can give problems with the piezo-cables.)

Otherwise, will the problem with the high e-string being slightly sharp go away, if i buy one of the Software feature Packs? (So that i can use Fret-control or Midi designer Pro to change tunings)

To get an idea what tuning looks like in Rocksmith 2014, here is a short video of someone else fiddling through the Tuner tool. When he changes the tuning to Open G and C-Standard you can see that his high-e string (purple color) is also +11 sharp (but get's registered anyway unlike mine +12 divergence)

https://www.youtube....h?v=MlTMYUTv8oE

C Standard to E Standard to Open G back to C Standard in under 1:30 min :)

Thanks for your help in advance!

#2 trevor

trevor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 04:28 PM

It sounds like intonation, but I don't play with alt tunings much.If you know how to set your intonation, do that across all strings first.Also, check the first fret tunings without the auto-tune, if it's too sharp your action at the nut is too high.

The problem with the piezos is where the cable comes out, most people want action low enough where the cable has no play under the bridge plate, so when they try to change the string length, the cable gets ripped out.If you can, open the cavity, for each string intonated, carefully push any length left in the cavity toward the hole  leading to the top WHILE you have a pin or needle pulling at that cable under the saddle you're intonating.Another option, mark where the saddles end-points are, remove them and route some channels in the bridge for the cables to slide, or replace with graphtech piezos, as their cables come out with no soldered areas exposed that are prone to breakage.Another option, if you're electronically adept, get rid of the piezos (cut the leads you still use the same saddles) and use a mag pickup, PM me for info on that.

#3 Henrik

Henrik

Antares Crew Member

• Administrators
  • 344 posts
  • LocationThe sprawling Antares megacenter

Posted 08 December 2015 - 05:31 PM

View PostromeoK, on 08 December 2015 - 12:35 PM, said:

Hello guys!

I've bought the AT-200 a week ago and so far i like it very much. I'm using it with Rocksmith 2014 and now i change tunings from E-Standard down to A-Standard in only a matter of seconds!

However i found that when i tune down to Eb-Drop-Db , the (open) high e-string is always 12 cent sharp, making it a bit picky to get it registered within the Rocksmith tuner.

In E-Standard tuning the (open) high e-string is fine (+0 cent divergence)

I wonder if it will make a difference when i correct the (physical) intonation of the high e-string. I know the guitar has SolidTune, but is it already active when doing StringTune? (I haven't tried the physical intonation yet because i read it can give problems with the piezo-cables.)

Otherwise, will the problem with the high e-string being slightly sharp go away, if i buy one of the Software feature Packs? (So that i can use Fret-control or Midi designer Pro to change tunings)

To get an idea what tuning looks like in Rocksmith 2014, here is a short video of someone else fiddling through the Tuner tool. When he changes the tuning to Open G and C-Standard you can see that his high-e string (purple color) is also +11 sharp (but get's registered anyway unlike mine +12 divergence)

https://www.youtube....h?v=MlTMYUTv8oE

C Standard to E Standard to Open G back to C Standard in under 1:30 min :)

Thanks for your help in advance!

Hey romeoK,

I would check the physical intonation of your guitar.  Tricking the ATG system by performing alternate tunings with your fingers can be a bit tricky, especially if the guitar is not setup perfectly.  I am not very familiar with the Rocksmith 2014 tuner, however you might want to also double check everything with a high quality strobe tuner, such as a Peterson or Sonic Research Turbo Tuner.

#4 romeoK

romeoK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:31 PM

Ok, today i took the time to intonate my AT-200. The intonation was a bit off on some of the strings, but it didn't solve the problem with the Rocksmith tuner,
in fact it still gives exact the same offset in some of the tunings:

E-Standard Tuning : b-string is +10 sharp
EbStandard Tuning: g-string +7 , e-string +12 sharp

BUT, then i've checked the tuning and intonation with a software called AP-Tuner for Windows and the AT-200 and is perfectly in tune and intonated!
+0/+1 max. offset on every string in every tuning i tried. (I use the same Guitar Audio-Interface for everything)

So, it could be the Rocksmith Tuner which is wrong, and after some google i found this:

http://steamcommunit...525181090813#p1

The Rocksmith tuner works like this: If you want to play a Song, it first brings up the tuner and asks you to tune one string after another. It makes a second check of every string after that. If a string's tuning is off, you can't proceed into the song, you have to tune it to the right pitch or you are stuck in the Tuner.

So with autotune on, in EbStandard i have to correct the pitch for the e-string by hand. (Not a big deal to be honest.)

However i am relieved that my AT-200 is fine and perfectly in tune! Seems i have to ask the Rocksmith guys if they can do something.

@trevor: thanks for the tip with the graphtech piezos, i've looked them up and will memorise it for the future if there are any problems. I sent you a pm with some other questions i have about this guitar!

Thanks for the replies!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users